Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Ephesians 6:10
The apostle Paul wraps up his letter to the believers in Ephesus with the charge found in today's verse. His exhortation to "be strong" involves the believer putting on the "full armor of God" in order to stand "against the devil's schemes." So, believers, let's get dressed for battle (Ephesians 6:10-18).
- Belt of truth - We go forth with integrity and faithfulness.
- Breastplate of righteousness - We have been made righteous by Christ (our position), and we are to live upright before God and man (our practice).
- Feet fitted with the gospel - Our stability and surefootedness come from the peace we have in Christ.
- Shield of faith - We trust in the name of the Lord our God.
- Helmet of salvation - We are confident that Christ will deliver us today and in the future.
- Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God - Scripture is our offensive weapon to combat the enemy's assaults.
- Pray - Hearing the Commander's instruction is critical.
- Be alert - Never drop your guard.
Buckle up! Following hard after Christ is not for the faint-hearted!
Father, please don't let us go through one day of our lives unprepared for battle. Place our armor in front of us every day and by Your Spirit, prompt us to put it on. In Jesus' name. Amen.