For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all God's people, I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way. Ephesians 1:15-23
Sometimes prayers for my children and their families become wooden and repetitive. "And Lord, help them have a great day" hardly scratches the surface for my daughters and son, their spouses, and two grandchildren God has graciously given me and my wife, Lori. The apostle Paul gives us a guide that we can follow to pray more purposefully.
This passage lists nine things that we can pray every day for our children and grandchildren.
- Thanksgiving: Thank God for the gift of your children (and their spouses!) and grandchildren.
- Wisdom: Ask Him to give them spiritual wisdom to make godly decisions.
- Know Him better: Ask God to grow them deep in their knowledge and love for Christ.
- Future Hope: Pray that they live today with eternity in mind.
- Glorious Inheritance: Thank God for the eternal inheritance He has in store for them.
- Great power: Ask God to give them the power to live obediently.
- Strength: Ask the Holy Spirit to provide strength to resist temptations.
- Established in love: Pray that they demonstrate a 1 Corinthians 13 love.
- Grasp the love of Christ: Pray that they know and live in the freedom of the unconditional love of Jesus.
Lord, to You who is more than able to do immeasurably more than I can think to ask, to You who is able to do even more than I could ever dream, Father, according to Your power that is at work in me and in my children--to You be the glory for ever and ever. Amen.