By: Michael and Tiffany Ross
“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.”
Play a little game of chance. Think up a number between 1 and 100,000,000 and write it on a slip of paper. Have your child try to guess the number. It will probably be very hard for her to guess it correctly. Then think up a different number between 1 and 5. There is a much higher chance of her guessing correctly.
Talk It Out
· Why was it so much harder to guess the number when it was between 1 and 100,000,000? Why was it easier when there were only five numbers to guess from?
· We have a lot of choices to make in life. Is it always easy to know which ones are correct?
· Do you ever feel overwhelmed by so many choices? Why is it important to make good decisions?
· How is this like following God? Which choices could you make that would make a difference in your faith life?
· Reread Matthew 7:13–14 and discuss why these choices are important to God.
Fortunately, we don’t have to guess about God. This idea of walking on a narrow road can be intimidating. But it doesn’t have to be since God is the One who helps us down the path. We don’t have to take a chance and hope it turns out well. We just have to trust that He will show us the way. The sooner your kids figure this out, the more hopeful they will be about their future
Talk to God
As you pray, encourage your child to (1) thank Jesus for being so big and mighty and (2) ask the Lord to help him appreciate what He has done for him.
© 2015 by Back to the Bible